Saturday, March 30, 2013

Monkeying Around : Results


 First things first, she had to cut out the pattern pieces. There were only four pieces and we used Ellie Inspired's mini Garden Isle dress.

At first, P-Bear decided to cut while I was looking for the scotch tape and cut everything out before I got there. So, if you are a beginner, let me tell you what I should have told her first - tape everything together on whole sheets of paper, then cut out the pattern pieces.

Then cut out your fabric. Pin the pattern to the fabric. If there is a right side and wrong side, be careful to cut all pieces the same way so you don't end up with pieces you can't use.



 Next piece of advice - every time you sit down to sew, ask yourself.... or your minion - I mean, daughter what type of stitch you are using and where your dial should be set.


 If you're wondering how she was able to sew by herself (I was sitting right next to her) I just put the pedal up on a box so she could reach it. I plan to get some of that non-slip roll-up stuff you can put in your spoon drawer, whatever it is technically called!

Also note, if you plan to sew alongside your daughter, remove the pedal from your serger. Its like teaching them how to drive - you will be pushing the invisible brake and if you accidentally push the serger pedal they will know what you did and their suspicions that you are crazy will be confirmed!
  At this point, she had sewn up the sides and attached the overlay to the dress at the shoulders.


Its done and boy is she proud and happy! And her mama is proud too!

Every time she was done sewing a line, she would tell me how much monkey would love it, how gorgeous / fabulous / awesome / other flattering adjective it was going to look on her.

The only part I had to do myself was the neck and arm bindings.


Husband - I am no longer mad at you for giving her the idea that monkey could have (or needed, I don't remember your exact words) a matching Easter dress. However, I am behind schedule so... help me cut fabric.


As a final note I will NOT be posting on Easter Sunday. I will have pictures up Monday of all 3 girls in their Easter dresses :)

2 comments:

  1. So cute! My girl is 3 and I think in a couple years I'll let her give sewing a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so pleased! What a great job she did!!! I taught my girls to sew when they were young but neither seemed interested for long. Now that they both have kids of their own, they are back at the machines! Those initial lessons meant they weren't intimidated to sit back down after all these years later at least, and they are both doing well with projects now. :)

    ReplyDelete