Friday, June 21, 2013

Running skirt with pocket

Yes, I am at it again! Although I love love love buying the brand name running skirts, a lot of them have either shorts attached or don't provide the kind of coverage I'm looking for.

When I buy a running skirt, I really want to cover up my spandex/compression short bum. And today's tutorial has a pocket added. Now, if you don't want to add a pocket, this skirt will be even simpler.

Today's skirt cost $4. (Technically 3.99) the spandex material was on sale at my local Hancock. Now, for choosing your fabric, I think you should definitely go to a fabric store and touch the fabrics. I like mine to be lightweight. I knew which one I wanted by touch.

Here is what you'll need to complete this project
Stretch needle for your sewing machine
Serger (optional)
1/2 yard (unless you want a longer skirt) spandex material
           note : you could also use a knit, just something with a good amount of stretch to it
Coordinating thread

Step one, cut the skirt portion to 12" (you can do more or less depending on what you want your final skirt length to be)

The remaining strip will be your waistband.

Step two, wrap your waistband around your waist. Make it as loose or tight as you'd want it to be when you're wearing it. Now add 1/2 (for seam allowance) and cut.

Step three, cut your skirt into halves (this makes your front and back), you should have one waistband, a front and a back. Now, fold your waistband in half, then in half again. Lay your front and back on top of each other and fold in half.

Step four, If you want your skirt to have a fit and flare feel to it, like I did, cut your flare off of your skirt. (See picture below)


Step five, cut out your pocket pieces. You will need two, a front and a back. I made mine about 3.5 by 6.75. This includes your seam allowances. Mine is big enough for a couple gu gels and a car key. If you want to be able to hold your phone in yours, cut around your phone, leaving 1/4" for seam allowances.


Step 6, pin your pocket to the bottom of your waistband and the top of your skirt. I like my pockets in the back. (At this point there is no front or back of the skirt, nor top or bottom of your waistband, but whereever you place your pocket determines these things) Try to match them up as best you can. 
 Step 7, sew your pocket pieces to your waistband and skirt. See how you now have a nice, clean edge? That is the outside of your skirt! All the seams will be on the inside.
See that pretty edge? Make sure yours looks like this as you are putting your right sides together!
 Step 8, sew your skirt front and back right sides together (make sure that the pretty part of your pocket is facing inside) I used my serger here. Many sewists use a zig-zag stitch for sewing knits and active material. It helps to keep the stretch.
 Step 9, round out the bottom of your skirt. I also took rounded out only the front of my skirt. I like my skirts to sit a little lower in the front. Plus I have a big ol' bum, so the back will need more coverage. If you are going to finish the bottom of the skirt by serging, you can do it now. You could also turn it up and stitch it. Spandex doesn't fray so you could just call it a day and leave it as is - easy peasy right?
 Step 10, stitch the short sides of your waistband together (you should end up with a 7" tall loop)
Step 11, fold it over and sew all the way around. This is so you aren't fighting all the layers of fabric later. And yes, you even sew around where the pocket is.
 Step 12, match up your skirt at the sides, front, back and pocket. Make sure that your smooth seamed sides of the pocket go together at this point. Thats what will make it invisible when you wear it. (See picture above)
 Step 13, sew waistband to skirt. I made my skirt ever so slightly wider than my waistband. If you do the same, just pull evenly on your waistband and it will match up. :)
NOTE: Do not sew your pocket shut. When you get to your pocket, sew around the outside. If you're looking at the picture above, you would sew along the waistband, then go up to sew the left sides of the pocket together, turn right to sew the bottom of the pocket together (its the top right now only because the pocket is inside out) and then down to sew the right side together, then you just continue sewing the waistband to the skirt!
 And you're done! Look at that nice, nearly invisible pocket!
 Ellie wearing my skirt :)
 Back view. The pocket is on the right. You can't even tell can you?!


CLICK ON THIS BUTTON TO VOTE!

2 comments:

  1. I made this for my daughter as a golf skirt! It turned out really cute and I am going to make them for the whole golf team now! Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the tutorial helped, Kara! Happy sewing!!!

      Delete