Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving Tablescapes (kiddie table)

Heck yeah, kiddie table!

I don't recall ever having a Thanksgiving large enough that we needed to separate the kids onto another table, but man, the fun that would have been. If you have a family full of little nieces and nephews, I think giving them their own table is a fun idea! They have a little bit of independence, and c'mon, you know how hilarious their conversations are!

First things first, waterproof tablecloth. I don't even have to tell you why.

Second off, although I love the idea of embroidered placemats, its not really practical if you're going to give your little people free reign. You'll stress less if you don't have your heart set on perfection. Believe me, lesson learned the hard way!

Here is what I did. I decided on a plain red tablecloth because its festive enough without being in your face. If you want to go with a table runner, keep it fun. After all, this is the kids table! I would totally suggest snatching up some of this fabric at JoAnns if you can find it!


Next, get your kids involved!

Remember that you want everyone to feel thankful so integrating your munchkins into the fun is going to help them understand the holiday and also make them feel like you're thankful for them. Of course, they'll know it more if they hear it, so make sure you tell them!

I am a HUGE sucker for handprint art. I love love love seeing hand-made crafts by my littles. First, trace their hands onto some colored cardstock. JoAnns has a great selection of colors to choose from.








Arrange them however you like. You can use just one color or multiple colors. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect! You can stagger them so you can see all the feathers, I especially suggest this for little hands! For my six year old's and mine, the heel of the palm were all even, and the fingers were more fanned out.



Next cut a circle for the body. Now, we aren't going to leave it like a circle. Cut off the bottom. You'll need a flat area so your turkey can stand later.

Drumroll please..... we need wings! This is going to look a little like a rounder version of the Nike symbol, but not quite a jelly bean.

Cut out another circle, but smaller. This is your turkey's head. Now, your child can either cut out eyes and a beak or draw them onto the head - whichever they, or you, prefer.

These are the wings and beak!

Don't forget the red gobble thingy. According to google, this is called a wattle.

Last but not least, we need to make it stand. Cut a strip of paper, I used orange since the stand is a lot like feet. You want to try to get it as close as you can to a 30/60/90 degree triangle. It will stand up best if there is a right angle along the bottom.





Once the glue is all dry, you have a great memory and a centerpiece for your kidlet table!

Don't have kids? Or this project isn't for you? Check out other great projects here! 

And, for hanging through til the end, a coupon just for you!

Jo-Anns shopping list:
- Cardstock (I used 7 pages I think)
- Allene's glue
- Sharpie

No comments:

Post a Comment